Friday, May 19, 2006

Vatican restricts public ministry of Maciel

I'm not really sure what to make of this. Reading between the lines, most people are interpreting this that the Vatican thinks that at least some of the accusations against Maciel are well-founded.

Some people who are against the Legionaries are laughing and piling on all sorts of anecdotes. They are saying that the Legionaries are stone-walling and defending a pedophile.

I have a good friend who is in Regnum Christi and actually is employed by the Legionaries and know other members of Regnum Christi who are really serious about their faith. While the little I know about Regnum Christi's spirituality does not appeal personally to me, I've always thought that it was good and that there is plenty of room in the Church for different personalities as long as they are orthodox, prayful, devout, etc -- which is my personal observation of my friend and others that I've known to be in Regnum Christi.

I am a member of Opus Dei and have heard all sorts of calumnies aimed at the Work and even a cursory glance at the history of the Church has shown that it is full of great saints who were maligned. I'm hoping that that is the case with Maciel, but am not naive. I think it is best to let history decide on this one.

In the meantime, my prayers go out for my friend and all the sincerely prayful people in the Legionaries and Regnum Christ.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Why Fret?

Subscribe with Bloglines