Saturday, October 29, 2005

Love / Hate Relationship

I write software for a living and enjoy it. I also like to tinker, but I've gotten to the point that I want to add software and hardware to my home machine without having to worry about spending hours and days trying to fix all the unexpected things that get broken whenever I add something.

Right now I'm listening to Peggy O, but it sounds like the hesitation blues. Snap, Crackle, and Pop used to be Kellogg's characters on a cereal box, but now are little demons living in my windows media player.

Sure, in the last two months I've added a second hard-drive; installed GnuChess, Play Chess with Fritz and Chesster for my daughter, GuitarPort, Together Enterprise Architect, and Norton Ghost; downloaded countless (legal) MP3s; mucked with the Registry and gone back to restore points two or three times; not to mention the countless "security" updates that Micro$oft has sent my way. But, hey, XP is supposed to plug-and-play.

I'm pretty sure the problem is a conflict between GuitarPort and windows media player 10. Oh, didn't I mention that everything worked fine before upgrading from media player 9 to 10? And there doesn't seem to be a way to go back to media player 9.

I'm not un-installing GuitarPort. No way. This is the most electric guitar I've played since having kids. I don't have to warm up my Peavey 60 watt tube amp to get a nice warm sound nor disturb the neighbors, much less wake (hopefully) sleeping kids. Besides getting a great sound at a low volume, GuitarPort lets me mix and match all kinds of amplifiers and effects at the click of a mouse.

1 Comments:

I feel the same way coding for a living, but hating software that isn't easy to install.

By the way GuitarPort sounds really cool and the price is pretty good too.

By Blogger Jeff Miller, at 9:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Back to Why Fret?

Subscribe with Bloglines