Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Blah, blah, blog

Call it the summer blahs, doldrums, laziness, or whatever. This blog was on hiatus intentionally, accidentally, or something in between.

I started this blog because I'm opinionated and wanted an outlet. Also, I thought it would be a good chance to sharpen the writing saw. Like playing the guitar, coding software, or anything else, regular practice is not only the only way to improve, but also the only way to keep from spiraling down. The spiritual life, not surprisingly, also follows this law of entropy -- things start to fall apart unless we are struggling to get a leg up.

I've been a resident of cyberspace for quite some time now. My internet journeys started circa 1990. Back then it was only email, ftp, telnet, etc. I remember downloading and compiling the source code for Mosaic, the precursor to Netscape Navigator. You do remember Netscape, don't you? My co-workers and I would run to each other's office to tell one another about the discovery of some new web site. There weren't that many at the beginning. Then came Netscape, AOL, etc

Before the web really began booming I'd make postings to Usenet and email lists. I'm still on a private catholic mailing list (hello CFers) that I've been on since the early nineties.

A lot of early web pages back then were personal pages for people and some had opinions, but they were not really updated regularly. Probably the first Catholic blogs that I came across were Radio Free Topeka and the Aquinas Cafe. RFT went off the air a number of years ago.

Aquinas Cafe is still around (although the most current post is from May), but now merely a shade of its past glory when it was still on PHP Nuke rather than Blogger. I really miss Al Kerry's Stones comic strip.

Anyway, two weeks ago I ran into Cacciaguida and started thinking about blogging again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Why Fret?

Subscribe with Bloglines