Monday, February 21, 2005

Fear and Loathing. Let's Hope Not.


I was always ambivalent about Hunter S Thompson. I wanted him to say "Obviously, my drug use is exaggerated or I would be long since dead" long before he ever said it. His writing was laugh-out-loud funny and obviously structured in its gonzo-ness. I could not believe that he really would get blasted and just let the keys rip on the typewriter. Frankly, if he was half as stoned as claimed to be, he wouldn't be able to find the typewriter.

But, then he had a speaking engagement at the University of Maryland circa 1986 and it was a depressing, disappointing, incoherent rant without even a flicker of the brilliance of his writing.

I pray that he knew not what he was doing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Why Fret?

Subscribe with Bloglines